North Coast 500: Loch Lomond to Inverness

Sally and I woke early and crept out of the room to catch the sunrise at 6.30.

There was no one else about, the loch was calm and the birds and ducks were waking up as we walked along the shore away from the hotel so Sally could set up her drone.

The wait was well worth it,

we were rewarded with a spectacular sun lighting up the clouds with red hues before rising about the mountains and reflecting in the loch.

After waking Amr, who can’t understand our fascination with the sun rising and setting, we had breakfast before setting off to our first destination The Devils Pulpit, also known as Finnich Glen.

Information about the exact location of the start of the walk is confusing, parking very limited but that didn’t put us off trying.

We managed to get the last place in a very small area and headed off to where we thought the walk started. Climbing over the stile from the main road, along a very muddy path,

great debates as to whether we should go through the barbed wire fence which looked as though many others had done before resulted in us trying anyway!

The pathway led close to the edge of a precipitous gorge where we could see a waterfall but the stairway down we could not find. Eventually we met a couple coming the other way who had found the path went no further. So we retraced our steps and decided that maybe we had left the main road too early.

So we walked further along and hey presto we found another stile which we crossed into another field and more muddy paths but we most certainly were in the right place this time.

The drop from the path was steep but we now could see the bottom and eventually the stone at the end of the gorge which gives the place the name of Devils Pulpit. Progressing further we found the stairway.

As we investigated, we knew they were steep and there was a wire to hold as you went down, however they were not only very steep but muddy and slippy too. Then Sally who was bravely at the front informed us that actually there were a number of ‘steps’ which had slid down the incline which meant to progress any further would entail go down on our bottoms, and praying we could get up again so we abandoned the idea.

Walking a little further round we could see clearly where the huge stones were missing from the stairway. Pity as it looked very cool down at the bottom from what we could see.

There were a group in wetsuits and helmets sliding down the waterfall which great shrieks of enjoyment!

We made our way back to the car pleased with our achievement to have completed 10,000 steps before midday, and made our way towards Loch Katrine.

After a refreshing and much needed coffee break we walked the two miles to the viewpoint towards the middle of the loch.

Beautiful views of the lake along a tarmac road and the viewpoint was a grassy peninsula which jutted right out into the loch.

We had taken snacks and drinks with us and as we tucked in watching the views Sally decided that she would take the Primrose Hill Trail back, we declined as it was a further two and a half miles uphill, and said we would meet her back at the car!

We enjoyed our stroll back along the lochside and didn’t have long to wait before she arrived back too. After a lunch of Haggis (for them not me!) we then made our way to our stop for the night in Inverness.

We passed through the stunningly beautiful Glencoe en route, but I was so tired I didn’t have the energy to lift my phone to take pictures as we drove, and there was no way Amr was going to stop even if I had had the energy!

We arrived in Inverness just after 8pm and just about managed to eat dinner before we crashed out.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s